Skin Cancer Prevention
Skin cancer is preventable. By practicing sun safety and avoiding the use of tanning beds you can prevent skin cancer in yourself and in your children.
Sun safety includes the following simple behaviours:
- block 99% of UVA and UVB
- wrap around your eyes to protect the sides of your eyes
- apply at least 20 minutes before going into the sun
- reapply every 2 or 3 hours
- reapply after swimming or perspiring
- apply generously to ensure the creation of a barrier between the sun’s rays and your skin
- alternate application of sun screen with application of bug sprays
- be sure to reach under the edges of your clothing, the back of your neck, your ears and other places that are often
missed or forgotten
And remember – these precautions are important all year round when the sun’s rays bounce off the snow, sand, water and even concrete!