Our Vision: A world without skin cancer.
Our Mission: To prevent and eradicate skin cancer through education, awareness, advocacy and research.
The Board of the Canadian Skin Cancer Foundation is dedicated to:
- Delivering awareness and education programs that will help reduce the occurrence of skin cancer in Canada.
- Advocating to restrict the use of tanning beds for those under the age of 18 years.
- Supporting skin cancer research.
The Canadian Skin Cancer Foundation was founded in 2002 by one of North America’s foremost authorities on skin cancer surgery, Dr. Barry Lycka. Dr. Lycka believes that skin cancers could be virtually eliminated if people were aware of the dangers of overexposure to the sun’s harmful UV rays and educated about how they could safely enjoy the outdoors.
Dr. Lycka soon recruited others to the Foundation as board members and program volunteers. By 2010, the CSCF was distributing over 7,000 free sunscreen samples along with educational sun safety information to outdoor enthusiasts across Edmonton each summer; conducting four annual University of Alberta campus campaigns and presenting sun-safety information to 3,000 to 4,000 elementary, junior high and high school students annually across the city.
In the winter of 2010, the CSCF created a comprehensive Strategic Plan to move the Foundation beyond Edmonton, into the rest of Alberta and across Canada.
Other members of the Board include those touched by skin cancer and those who understand the awareness and education will reduce the occurrence of skin cancer.
The current board is:
Co-Chairs Brent Bailey, Dr. Barry Lycka
Secretary Lee Weir
Treasurer Caly Wong
Directors Ashok Bhaseen
Medical Advisory Committee
The CSCF Advisory Committee is made up of individuals appointed by the Board of Directors who are willing, interested and able to:
- Provide professional health, education and/or awareness advice to the Board of Directors.
- Act as spokespersons on behalf of the CSCF.
- Advocate on behalf of CSCF.
- Demonstrate leadership in areas relevant to the Vision, Mission and Values of CSCF.
- Dr. Stewart Adams, Dermatologist, Institute for Skin Advancement, Calgary.
- Dr. Allan Behm, Dermatologist, Dermatology Laser Centre, Calgary.
- Dr. Joel Claveau, Dermatologist, Melanoma & Pigmented Lesions Clinic, Hôpital Hôtel-Dieu de Québec.
- Dr. Barry Lycka, Dermatologist, Founder/Past President, CSCF, Edmonton.
- Dr. Andrei Metelitsa, Dermatologist, Assistant Clinical Professor, University of Calgary.
- Dr. Jason Rivers, Clinical Professor of Dermatology, University of British Columbia.
- Dr. Michael Smylie, Professor, Department of Oncology, University of Alberta; Cross Cancer Institute.
- Dr. Muba Taher, Dermatologist, Associate Clinical Professor, University of Alberta.
- Dr. Alan Underhill, Mary Johnston Chair in Melanoma Research; Associate Professor, Department of Oncology, University of Alberta.
- Louis Weatherhead, Associate Professor, Director, Surgical Dermatology, University of Ottawa; Active Staff, The Ottawa Hospital; Consultant, The Ottawa Regional Cancer Center.