Our Vision: A world without skin cancer.
Our Mission: To prevent and eradicate skin cancer through education, awareness, advocacy and research.
The Board of the Canadian Skin Cancer Foundation is dedicated to:
- Delivering awareness and education programs to help reduce the occurrence of skin cancer in Canada.
- Advocating for the restricted use of tanning beds for minors (those under the age of 18).
- Supporting skin cancer research.
The Canadian Skin Cancer Foundation was founded in 2002 by Dr. Barry Lycka, one of North America’s foremost authorities on skin cancer surgery. Dr. Lycka believes that skin cancers could be virtually eliminated if people were aware of the dangers of overexposure to the sun’s harmful UV rays and educated about how to enjoy the outdoors safely.
Dr. Lycka recruited board members and program volunteers to the foundation. By 2010, the CSCF was distributing over 7,000 free sunscreen samples and sun safety information to outdoor enthusiasts across Edmonton each summer; conducting four annual University of Alberta campus campaigns; and presenting sun-safety information to 3,000 to 4,000 local elementary, junior high and high school students annually.
In the winter of 2010, the CSCF created a comprehensive Strategic Plan to move the Foundation beyond Edmonton, into the rest of Alberta and across Canada.
Other members of the Board include those touched by skin cancer and those who are committed to reducing skin cancer rates through awareness and education.
The current board is:
Co-Chairs Marie Iwanow, Dr. Barry Lycka
Secretary Lee Weir
Treasurer Humza Mehmood
Directors Ashok Bhaseen
Medical Advisory Committee
The CSCF Advisory Committee is made up of individuals appointed by the Board of Directors who are willing, interested and able to:
- Provide professional health, education and/or awareness advice to the Board of Directors.
- Act as spokespersons and advocates on behalf of the CSCF.
- Demonstrate leadership in areas relevant to the Vision, Mission and Values of CSCF.
- Dr. Stewart Adams, Dermatologist, Institute for Skin Advancement, Calgary.
- Dr. Allan Behm, Dermatologist, Dermatology Laser Centre, Calgary.
- Dr. Joel Claveau, Dermatologist, Melanoma & Pigmented Lesions Clinic, Hôpital Hôtel-Dieu de Québec.
- Dr. Barry Lycka, Dermatologist, Founder/Past President, CSCF, Edmonton.
- Dr. Andrei Metelitsa, Dermatologist, Assistant Clinical Professor, University of Calgary.
- Dr. Jason Rivers, Clinical Professor of Dermatology, University of British Columbia.
- Dr. Michael Smylie, Professor, Department of Oncology, University of Alberta; Cross Cancer Institute.
- Dr. Muba Taher, Dermatologist, Associate Clinical Professor, University of Alberta.
- Dr. Alan Underhill, Mary Johnston Chair in Melanoma Research; Associate Professor, Department of Oncology, University of Alberta.
- Louis Weatherhead, Associate Professor, Director, Surgical Dermatology, University of Ottawa; Active Staff, The Ottawa Hospital; Consultant, The Ottawa Regional Cancer Center.